Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- If my child is now 5½, but will turn 6 before the competition happens. Can I still register my child for the competition?
Please note the age group your child is eligible to participate in is as of December 31st, 2022.
- Which address should I enter if I plan to move in the next few months?
The region you’ll be participating in is the region at the time of registration.
- Can I defer my registration to next year if I decide not to participate?
Please notify us if your child will not be participating by emailing at email@example.com.
- I mailed my cheque payment to the SBOC office and have not received confirmation.
The registration team will send you an email notification upon receipt of the cheque payment.
Please contact the registration team if you do not receive confirmation within 2 weeks of your mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Which registration packages are suitable for visually impaired students?
Please communicate your child’s needs for accommodation to email@example.com.
The Study Guide can be provided as a Word document or alternative format.
- I’ve registered for the Basic package. Will I receive any training in the spelling bee rules?
All registrants are eligible to attend the Rules and Regulations webinar.
More updates will become available in the registrant’s account dashboard and by email.
- I’ve registered for the Advanced package. When will I receive information on accessing the Online Learning Platform?
A link to the platform will be posted in your profile by end of January 2023. You must log in to access the platform through the registrant’s account.
If you experience difficulties accessing the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What format are the competitions this year? Will it be online?
The chapter spelling bee competitions will be held online in 2022. Training on how to virtually participate will be outlined during the Rules and Regulations webinar.
The Championships will be held in-person at the CBC studio in Toronto. However, this is subject to change due to Health Canada guidance and regulations.
- I have completed registration, but I have not received my competition dates. When will my competition day be confirmed?
Your competition and chapter will be confirmed by February 2023. The Chapter Spelling Bee Competitions will be taking place in person between March 2023 - April 2023.
- If a participant is not available on the date that the spelling bee competition is scheduled, can I switch to another date?
Currently, we do not allow participants to switch dates unless they have a special circumstance and can provide documentation. The Board of Directors will review accommodation on a case-by-case basis.